Its been more than a week since my last post.. as parents were going back home then, I decided to spend more time with them instead of blogging. After staying with us for 6 months (2 months before baby's arrival and 4 months after birth), sending them off at the airport's departure gate was really emotional for all of us. Even Shannyn was not used to parents' departure as she kept looking around, trying to 'search' for her grandparents. She also kept staring at the door that leads to the backyard. I reckon that she was trying to look for dad who was always hanging around there. No wonder some grandparents do not want to help take care of their grandkids as its really hard to say goodbye for both adults and the little ones.. esp when the kids' parents decide that its time to 'take back' the little ones or to leave the house and live a life of their own.
Now that we're on our own, we have to be really independent. No more asking mom to help look after baby or do laundry and no more asking dad to cook or to fix this and that. And who is going to take care of the garden? All I do now is to nourish them with water saved from washing the rice. Well, at least Winter is coming so I guess the plants won't need much maintenance anyway. The first challenging task for me is to bathe Shannyn all by myself. I have done it before but its much trickier now as she is no longer a little baby who stays still during bath. She simply loves to kick a lot during bath time and its extremely slippery too. And now that Shannyn has fallen asleep on her playmat in the living room, all I can hear is the sound of the stupid clock clicking away. But I'm glad that Shannyn has gotten used to not having her grandparents around and she is now smiling in her sleep.
Last night, we brought Shannyn to her 4-mth immunisation. She was sound asleep then so the nurse had to wake her up as one of the immunisation had to be taken by mouth. She threw a tantrum and was screaming away but I guess maybe because she was woken up from her sweet dreams. She was more keen in falling back to sleep than anything. This morning, she cried the moment she woke up.. which was unusual. She usually greets me with a smile first thing in the morning. Maybe she had nightmares from last night's vaccines.
I have always wanted to live a life of my own, independent from parents. However, I have never visualised what I'm experiencing now, taking care of Shannyn all by myself during the day. Although we enjoy the privacy now but we do appreciate parents' presence too. I will always remember the great help that my parents have provided us during their short stay with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment