Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Girl stuff: Foundation

After nearly two years, I finally finished using my L'oreal Ideal Balance foundation (which I bought in Singapore) Yes, Jo, thanks for telling me that all makeup have a 1-year expiry and I should have thrown most of mine away. But guess what, I have been using my blush since I started work in 2000, it was my first blusher!! In fact, it is not even a real blusher but an eye colour...

Now, what should I do now that I've finished my foundation.. yes, buy a new one to replace it. But alas, to my surprise, my same old foundation is not available here!! So I went to look for a replacement foundation. I even went to cosmetic counters and asked for trial. Tried Clinique (too yellowish in colour and no spf), tried Revlon (the salesgal don't even bother to remove my existing makeup before slapping on some thick foundation on my face), NARS (salesgal was so arrogant and practically ignored me .. answering one word to each of my question and not even looking at me until I asked her about the price then she looked up and said "Its AUD98".. siao ah.. who wana spend so much on foundation? I just turned my head and walked away after finally getting her attention hahaa ... I also went to Dior.. colour is so limited and super light in texture.. might as well don't put, waste money.. or sprinkle some J&J baby powder on the face will do. I know I am picky.. too thick also cannot, too light also no use. Then I came across Body Shop, looks really good.. feels really good psychologically as they don't do animal testing.. but no spf and texture was rather coarse. So I went back to L'oreal and the salegal told me to go online and purchase the foundation if I really want to use back the same range. What a wonderful idea! So I went to google and did an online search .. but to my surprise, I think L'oreal has actually stopped the range! OMG, now I must really keep trying.

Then one fine day, I came across SHU UEMURA.. I remember this Japanese brand is very popular in Singapore. The salegirl in the store (one and only outlet in Melbourne) was a Japanese, very friendly. She spent 20 minutres removing my existing makeup and I'm sure she used 5 different products in the process. I felt like I had a free face massage and sure felt good about the service and the brand. After 30 minutes, she finally introduced me the foundation and I loved the smooth texture, the colour and the fact that it has SPF. But the drawback was the cost.. at AUD75 (AUD55 for the foundation and AUD20 for the black and slick case). I wanted to say yes but was afraid that it would oxidise on me (like MAC, I turned black after half a day.. as if I have been to the solarium)!! So I said that I would monitor its effect for a day. After a day, the foundation remained on my oily face and didn't not oxidise! I was impressed and know that I had found 'THE ONE'!! I went back happily and wanted to 'invest' in it.. since I use very little and it will definitely last me at least another year or so. But I would never have thought that it would run out-of-stock.. I should have known.. being the only store in Melbourne, all the Japanese ladies would have flocked to the store since its a new outlet, only started in October 2008. Well, after patiently waiting for 2 weeks, my foundation had crumbled and I can no longer use it. I had no choice and nearly bought Bourjois foundation but I still trust L'oreal as I have been using it since ages ago.. so now, I'm using yet another L'oreal powder while patiently waiting for 'THE ONE" to arrive.. it may take days, weeks or even months, I don't know but I won't fret over it.

Now what I have learnt from this minor yet interesting life experience is that never wait till the last minute.. sometimes you will not always get what you want as and when you wish... so my friends, just do it, whatever stuff you have been thinking of doing. DO IT NOW! OK, I'm going to have some BIG M Strawberry Milk before heading to bed. Good night!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catch no balls...itz like me shopping for DDR rams, difference being 512mb or 1gb and DDR1 or DDR2, tin u also dunno wat i talking...kekeke

Anonymous said...

Haha! Yes, me too! Almost want to bang onto the wall reading this... simply 'confusing'... keke!

Well, I guess it's really 'Girl stuff' isn't it? :S

Archrouge said...

Beng! Never mind, its like 'playing piano to the bull'.. keke!

Anonymous said...

Wah...hey, if you need, tell me...I help you buy and send over...Just mailed me back my bill will do. Lemme know. The guys know nuts about gals' stuff.Hehe... =)
Cheers, Jel

Anonymous said...

still got oxidise against the sun? got photosynthesis involved? tat 1 I know :P

Archrouge said...

Nice try bro but nooo.. no photosynthesis involved..

Flipper said...

Haha! I had the same problem, only thing is I tend to be more fickle-minded, keep wanting to try different brands. Haven't finished one brand then buy another. Ended up with different brands of half-used products and have to throw away after expiry, haha. I'm trying Shu Uemura loose powder too! And also Anna Sui...cos of the super nice packaging! keke...

By the way, a friend recommended online US brands of mineral makeup (very in now cos of its natural qualities), seemed to be super good, can order online, very, very cheap! My friend has been using the pdts for years and swears by it. She says the brush is Shu Uemura quality but only costs US$10! Check it out at https://www.everydayminerals.com/index.php

There's one more site, let me go check my other email again and let u noe. I hvn't tried yet..intend to try after my exams keke. Let u noe my experience after that! :)

Archrouge said...

Yeah, I heard that mineral makeup is very in now cos of its natural ingredients and contains spf. Thanks for the link. Btw, how to get the right colour esp for foundation if order online? But will definitely check it out!

Flipper said...

Oh, accordingly to my fren, u can order sample sizes of the colours to try, they are at US$2 each. Another thing is if you got frens interested, u all can share and order a few samples to chk out the colours. Have fun! :)