Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sydney Holiday

It was Queen's birthday, a public holiday in Australia. So we took a few days of leave and drove to Sydney.

Amazingly, Sean drove 13h direct to Sydney. We woke up at 3am and set off by 4am. Dad had cooked Shannyn's porridge (for lunch) by 3.30am!

I was still struggling to wake up, having burnt midnight oil to do my assignment.. I only slept at 1am!!

Sean said "You can still sleep in the car mah!!"

"OK lor"!! I said reluctantly.

So off we went..... we had McDonald's for breakfast, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) for tea break and KFC for lunch! We tried all the fast food restaurants within a day!

We reached Sydney at 5pm! I was so tired on day 1 but couldn't sleep as the room was too cold yet I was too tired to even go adjust the room temperature. So I didn't sleep much on the first night.

Day 1 - We went for city tour the next day.... the city was very huge, at least four times the size of Melbourne's city. And it was packed too.

The Chinatown was nice. We could stroll along Chinatown as it has decent walking pavement, unlike Melbourne's Chinatown... which is a small street with cars and Chinese shops along the road and much more 'authentic' (aka outdated). Evening time, we went to Star City casino. Had buffet (Ah Long's treat) at the casino. Yummy!!

Then Sean and I wanted to become members of the casino. The casino guy asked to check my ID and I showed him my driver's license. He actually said "What?!!" in disbelief and shook his head.

Think I'll treat that as a compliment.

Day 2 - went shopping for 2hours including lunch and head straight to cousin Ah Long's house. Evening time, we went to have fresh Lobster dinner at a Chinese restaurant (Ah Yong's treat - comparable to the cost of a wedding dinner table!!!). I think the lobster was as tall as Shannyn!! Soooo yummy!!

Day 3 - Head back to Melbourne. Stopped by a town called "Albury". We stayed at Albury Chifley hotel. Decent 4-star hotel with 1000 threadcount bedsheet and quilts.. super soft!!

I also loved the thick fluffy blankets plus there is free coffee and tea (yao gui) in room. The most enjoyable of all was the hot hot breakfast in the next morning! It was about 7 degrees that day so the breakfast really made our day!

This trip wouldn't be considered a holiday if not for this hotel stay!

Here are some pictures to share.




Cubby house at Ah Yong's backyard - it is like a 'tourist spot' itself!











Will post more again...

2 comments:

joe bro said...

It's like a mini tree house! So nice. Your road trip sounds like a fast-food drive until you reach Sydney. How long did parents camp at the casino?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sydney looks like a very cosy and relaxing place! The cubby house is very nice, like a tree top doll house, hehehe .. Cute!

OMG, 13 hours drive??! How did you manage? I sit in car from Sg to Genting already half my bones gone! Heehee ~elin