Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

New Milestone

I've always remembered what my primary school tuition teacher,Mrs Foong, told me "When there is a will, there is a way". I am so happy today... for my continous efforts have paid off after 3 weeks! I've always wanted to breastfeed my baby and the process of doing so has been so smooth..It seems to be an inborn instinct and she has been bf since birth. I felt so special as I'm the only ONE that can feed her and the bonding between us is simply fabulous.

But a challenge crept up over the recent weeks: Shannyn has not been accepting bottle feeding. Wherever we go on a long roadtrip, we have to pull over by the roadside in the middle of the trip... I'll grab a flannel (for privacy) and bf her inside the car. Initally, I was so reluctant to bf her in the car. But which parent would let their kids starve? I see a lot of mums bf their babies in public here but guess I'm still not as open-minded yet. Fortunately, most shopping centres have small rooms for mums to bf their babies. And when we visit friends, I always have to "retreat" to the guest rooms and bf her. I've read 'scary' stories where parents tried 50 over different teats and finally found the only ONE teat which suit their babies. We tried a couple of bottles&teats too but I thought that the only way for both of us to learn is to use the same teat over and over again. Today, she took a lot of milk from the bottle and even wanted more! It was not easy for her and for me.. sometimes both of us cried together.This may sound stupid but I guess that as adults, we also have to learn how to feed the little ones just as they have to learn how to drink from bottle. Babies have preferences too, just like adults, and Shannyn obviously prefers me to feed her no matter in what way! I am just so delighted as she seems to understand my coaxing (or nagging?) that she has to feed from a bottle.

I've learnt that persistence and patience is so so important. Its really a new milestone from now on.. Mummy is so proud of you, Shannyn! Let's persevere together!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good to read. It also means that she's beginning to grow up. And she's able to decipher your thinking. Guess, sooner or later, you will need to get the pacifier out from her...Good Luck! Take care oh...miss u ppl... jel

Archrouge said...

Aye, she dun really like the pacifier anyways haha.. Thanks for your well wishes, Jel